Drugs Payment scheme
Under this scheme a maximum of €144 is paid every month. This is only available for approved prescribed drugs, medicines and certain appliances for use by yourself and your family in any month. The registration form is available in most pharmacies around the country but you can also download the form here.
It is not required to register at any one pharmacy to use your Drugs Payment scheme however we do recommend it if you want to avoid paying above the maximum €144 per month. If it is unavoidable or inconvenient for you to use the same pharmacy you can claim back the amount exceeding €144 at your local Health Office.
Health amendment act scheme
The Health Amendment Act was set up to provide healthcare services to men, women and children all of which have been infected with Hepatitis C as a result of contaminated blood and blood products. Health amendment Act cardholders are entitled to the following;
- GP visits
- Ophthalmic and aural services and appliances
- Home help services
- Prescription medication
- Counseling services for the card holder and the family
If you have any question regarding the above schemes, please don’t hesitate to ask as we are happy to help and advise you.
Medical card scheme
There are a number of things taken into account to determine weather or not you are eligible for a medical card, a means test looks at the following;
- Weekly income must be below a certain figure
- Any cash income in addition to your weekly income
- Property: your own family home is not taken into account here
Services you are entitled to with a medical card:
- GP visits
- Hospital visits: out-patient services in public hospitals
- Hospital care: In-patient services in public hospitals
- Prescription medication: approved medicines, aids and appliances. A small deposit may be required for some aids and appliances that will be refunded on return of it. A €2.50 charge is charged to all medical cardholders for prescription medicines.
- Some dental services may be approved
- Health care for pregnancy: this includes medical, midwifery care and care for the child for up to six weeks after the birth.
You can apply online for a medical card on medicalcard.ie. This is the quickest method of obtaining a medical card.