Movember is the worldwide annual event of growing a moustache during the month of November to raise awareness and funds for men’s health issues. The associated charity, The Movember foundation is the leading charity changing the face of men’s health and focuses on three of the biggest health issues faced by men; prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health & suicide prevention.
Men’s Health Statistics in Ireland
As a previous Irish Pharmacists Union spokesperson for Men’s Health Week, promoting the enhancement of health and wellbeing of men in Ireland is something I am passionate about. From Dads to brothers, husbands and friends, everyone holds a male close to their heart, and helping them take action and improve their quality of either physical or mental health is of huge importance.
Here in Ireland, prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in men, after skin cancer. Every year 3,400 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer – that means one in eight Irish men will be diagnosed in their lifetime. Testicular cancer on the other hand is quite rare in Ireland, with only 176 men diagnosed each year. However it is the most common cancer found in young men between 15-34 years old.
Although Ireland may be below the average rate of suicide in Europe (source), mental health has always been a problem we as a country face, particularly when it comes to men, as data shows men consistently count for roughly 75% of suicides in Ireland. However the data has also shown that there has been a downward trend in male deaths registered as suicides in recent years. A high of 458 deaths in 2011 has steadily decreased over the years to 318 in 2016.
How You Can Support
If you want to get involved in raising awareness or fundraising for the special cause, there are so many ways:
- Grow a moustache – Within your friend group, community, school, workplace or sports club, get everyone involved and get the conversation started. Whether you grow a mo to raise awareness or raise funds, it will all have an impact on men’s health.
- Move for Movember – Move this Movember by running or walking 60 kilometres over the month. That’s 60 kilometres for the 60 men lost worldwide to suicide every hour. Do it yourself or join a team, and get some friends and family to back you with a donation.
- Host a Mo-ment – Have a get-together and raise awareness or funds for men’s health. Go small with a dinner with your male friends, or bigger with a community table quiz, the approach is up to you as every little helps!
- Employer Support – If you are an employer, why not stand for change and operate a fund matching programme for the money your employees raise.
- Online Donation – If you want to make a general online donation, click here. Or if you have a specific person or team you want to donate to, you can search by name to make a donation here.
Remember if you want to speak to someone, Pieta House provides a free 24 hours, 7-days a week phone service on 1800 247 247 or alternatively get in contact with Samaritans on 116 123. For more information on Movember, any of the health issues or how you can support, visit the official website here.